Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Just REAL Talk...

This weekend was one of the busiest, but most refreshing and encouraging experiences I have ever had.  I was chair of a Student Leadership Conference, in which we had about 175 attendees. REACH communications out of Columbus facilitated workshops, using comedy, AMAZING teambuilders, and so much more to connect with our young people.  I felt like a kid again!  I LOVE REACH!!!  So since most of the people at the conference were 17 yrs and under it was really exhausting!  No offense, just real talk. :)  I am so grateful for the amazing people who were there to help put this on!  Thank you!  You know who you are...:)

SHeesh, what a whirlwind.  On top of planning, facilitating, coordinating, and organizing this conference I had to get in a shoot.  This week's shoot was a Jamaican Mango and Lime challenge.  They have awesome products for locs and natural hair.  I had to create shots that Jamaican Mango and Lime might use in their commercials, and print adds.  It was so tough because unfortunately, it was 30 degrees outside!  It was so cold, I could see my breath and couldn't feel my hands and feet!  Andy I only had Wednesday and Thursday to do it as Friday morning I was on the road to my conference! I was fortunate to have two kind photographers.  One a great friend -  Ro, the other from Omni Studies - David!  In two days we pounded out some pics!  Then on Saturday night, while I was chaperoning a dance I had to complete a write up and submit my pics.  I felt such a rush and relief getting them in!  The other contestants looked beautiful as always.  It's so fun to see what the other gals do each week.  I mean, I'm competitive, but fair!  I love natural hair!  Go girls! 

In the big scheme of things, this is life and I am blessed to have the opportunites to work with young people and be a part of ANNM and all kinds of other awesome stuff....  But I'm learning it's okay to need rest and understand that being human is all we can be.  And sometimes we just need R.E.S.T!

But, no lie...I think I could sleep for an entire day!  6 hours of sleep during a weekend, is NOT the business.  Not for me anyway.  I LOVE sleep, it's my favorite...besides my family and friends and students, and food, and ...oh you know...it's up there. 

Anyway, remember when walking through life to focus on what's there - what is there and what can be seen as resources - not what you don't have.  Whether it's time, money, or love...think about what you DO have. Being busy and exhausted is one way to think about things or being able to work with young people and be in a natural hair competition is the other way to think about it...What way would you choose to think about it? 

It's crazy how one's perception can change when their focus changes.  I'm grateful for family and friends, work, for my students, for just being and learning everyday of my life. #nopainnogain You can't grow with out growing pains! Sometimes our blessings are just right around the corner.  But a blessing won't seem like a blessing if it's too easy...ya hearrrddd!?   XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment